Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking
Stuart Stuart is offline

Default Suggestions on how to put a slot in wood - constructional project

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:58:01 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

normanwisdom wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:
I have five 150mm x 150mm posts, (pressure impregnated soft wood), and these
are structural posts for a car port & garage.

The fixing for these is that there are base plates fixed to concrete,
proving a 200mm T section steel upright onto which these posts slide, and
they are then are through bolted to it.

Pic on http://tinyurl.co.uk/pri5 if my power of description is not to
good.

The steel of the blade that they slide onto is 8mm plate which I have had
galvanised ... just measured and it's 'about' 8.5mm thick on average.

So at one end of each post I need to cut a slot right though the post
(i.e.from one face to another on the centre line), either 8.5mm thick or
perhaps 9mm.
My only thought so far are to use a router, cutting from both sides ... but
it's still asking a lot ... at least 75mm depth of cut and only 9mm wide.
I have a hand held router.

Any other suggestions ?

It needs to be neat, straight, and square ended

Rick

Mark it with a mortice guage or if you haven't got one something else -
pencil?
Cut it with a sharp handsaw - e.g. new cheapo hardpoint.
Chisel out with thin chisel, or anything - sharpened screwdriver?

cheers
Jacob

Drill through first with 9mm drill, then handsaw the slot out.

I suppose hiring a bandsaw for just 5 posts is overkill.. ?

Stuart .