Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Converting 2 Garage Doors into 1 Door??

On 12 Oct 2006 07:08:56 -0700, "Mikelly"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to convert a 2 car garage with 2
seperate doors into 1 big door. I understand that it depends on the
center post and if it is structural support or just cosmetic, which I
still need to find out. Assuming that it is cosmetic and can be
removed, what other factors need to be considered and does anyone have
any experience with this and can give me an estimate cost for a project
like this?

Thanks
Mike

I'll just add that the center post is almost certainly structural,
carrying the ends of the two headers above the two existing doors,
plus the transferred loads from the wall and roof above. Converting
it will mean building a temporary wall to support the roof/ceiling
load, then removing the center post and the two headers above the
existing doors. Those headers will need to be replaced with a single
longer one, and since it will be carrying a bigger load and for a
greater length, it will either need to be larger, or reinforced with
steel as one poster mentioned, or replaced with a manufactured beam,
such as a glulam or steel beam. You also may very well need a custom
door, because the sum of the widths of the old doors and the center
post probably won't equal a standard door width. It's going to add up
to a pretty sum. If you are in an earthquake or high-wind area
(coast), then you may need to beef up the shear strength of the walls
to the sides of the existing doors too. All possible, just time and
money.

Good luck,

Paul