Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Dave is offline

Default Big plunge router usage

wrote:
Hi,

I'm seeking some explanations regarding the huge plunge routers
available on the market right now.

All tool manufacturers offer a 3+HP plunge router in their lineup (some
have more than one) but only two makes a fixed base router (PC and
3HP). My impression is the following:

- Those routers are very heavy and not really suitable for hand held
work.
- Some of them have a very small base opening preventing them from
using large diameter bits.
- Some may claim they're designed to be installed in a table. Well, you
don't need a plunge router to gain the ability to raise the bit? A
fixed base router does the job well... Many plunge routers have
powerful springs that makes them very hard to raise once they're
installed in a table.
- As far as I'm concerned, a plunge router is designed "to plunge" in
the material. I don't know many "plunging" tasks that requires such a
monster. Making mortises is done easily with any 2HP plunge router.

Well, this is my understanding so far. Am I missing something? There
must be over 10 plunge router monsters available but only 2 fixed base.
There must be a reason for it that I ignore. What's the advantage of
the plunge base in such big router?

I would appreciate if anyone of you can shed some light on this...

Thanks,

Ben