Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default The right way to prepare lumber

I use the same philosophy prepping wood as I do metal (my day job). Do all
roughing work first, before any finish cuts. Any finish cuts done prior to
roughing another surface may or may not remain true. If they do, great. If
they don't, you have to do it again. Why take the chance? I don't own a
jointer nor do I want one. Don't need it. My sequence of operations is:
rough plain (hand) one face if needed. Rough plain edges if seriously out
(bark on, ect). Send them through the planer and plane to size. Finish plane
one edge. Rip opposite edge.

"alexy" wrote in message
"CW" wrote:

I agree with this. If the board is face and edge jointed before planing,

the
chance is there for that jointed edge to get out of shape during the
planing, requiring re jointing.

I don't understand how that can happen. One face is jointed, and an
edge is jointed to be perpendicular to that face. The planer makes the
other face parallel to the jointed face (an consequently also
perpendicular to the previously jointed edge). How does that affect
the previously jointed edge? Unless, of course, you are talking about
releasing tension in an improperly dried or reaction wood board, in
which case all bets are off on any easily described order of
proceeding.
--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked

infrequently.