Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Do heating stoves really help your heating bill?

Goedjn wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:58:03 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Well, suppose your fireplace puts out 60,000 BTU and your house is
losing 80,000 BTU.

You are using free firewood for 60 and the other 20 are being supplied
by your furnace. Lets see now, you're paying for 20 instead of 80. Is
that cheaper?

Depends on what your house looses when you're NOT running the
fireplace. Or would loose, if you didn't have one which is
likely to be even less.

In my case. by shutting down the fireplace, the furnace could keep the
house warm. That was the last season I used that fireplace. Went to a
stove and kept the house toasty with almost no oil at all from then on.
Summary comes down to I was burning wood for a heat loss through the
fireplace, i.e., efficiently getting rid of firewood.

Harry K