Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Galvanized pipe, not sure what to do?

If you decide not to remove the galvanized pipe, you should at least change
the plastic pipe arrangement. The 90 degree elbow attached to the pipe is a
slip coupling fitting that should never be built into the wall, they are
intended for open areas such as under a sink or in a cabinet. All fittings
buried in the walls should be threaded or solvent welded fittings to
eliminate possibility of leaks that slip joint pipes are prone to do.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently purchased my first home. We decided that we would under
take some upgrading. When we stared on the bathroom we where planning
on just repainting. After further investigation we determined that the
drain pipe from the sink was corroded and leaking. We didn't like the
sink anyway so we pulled it out and hope to replace it with a pedestal
sink. When we removed the sink this what we found.

http://www.eganllc.com/images/pipes1.jpg
http://www.eganllc.com/images/pipes2.jpg

The end of the pipe that you can not see is into a cast iron pipe.

As you can see there are many issues. 1) Do I need to replace the
galvanized pipe? 2) Should I call a plumber to do this? 3) Can I just
shorten the coupling so that the drain is not over the water pipe?
(Shorten the coupling that is.)

Any help is appreciated.

Jonyskids