Ed Huntress

Default Does anyone know of a good way to transfer a paper pattern

"Greg Murray" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Does anyone know of a good way to transfer a paper pattern to a piece of
steel to be cut with a plasma torch? With wood I have seen a pounce wheel
and a bag of chalk used. I have a number of craft designs in the computer

want to cut out of sheet steel. I would appreciate any economical
suggestions. Thank you in advance.
Greg W Murray

It you have to see the pattern with the torch on, I don't know of anything
to suggest.

But, as for getting the pattern on the steel, you could adapt a method used
by graphic artists. You print the pattern on a laser printer or by means of
a photocopy machine, in reverse. Next you lay the paper, toner side down, on
the medium you want to transfer to. Then you use a cloth pad or a paper
towel dampened with xylene to brush the back of the paper, letting it
permeate the paper but not getting it soaked (getting it soaked will blur
the image). The xylene dries off in seconds, and you have your image.

On steel, I think you'd have to coat it with paint or something else to keep
the image from blurring and running. And then you have the matter of finding
a paint that isn't dissolved by xylene. g

Ed Huntress