Adam

Default Painting a sash window...

fred wrote in message ...
In article , Adam
writes

Thanks for the fast response, Fred...

I think I'll try Stuart's fibreglass resin suggestion first...

Fair enough, I notice now that you said it appeared dry.

It does seem to be. I tried prodding it with the corner of a
stripping knife, and it *appears* to be sound to. It just has that
darkened, almost grey look that wet wood takes on...

I'm planning on using the draught-proofing parting bead from Mighton,
but I'll definitely go out and look for new staff beads. Ours have a
few chunks out of them in any case...

This outfit might help if you need brush seals for those other little draughty
bits:
http://www.ifpsl.com/imply,.htm

Hmmm. Looks very similar to the Mighton offering. The parting bead
in our windows is around 12mm wide (measured fairly crudely - I'm
buying some decent calipers tonight) and nearly 14mm wide at the base
- although if it's been as well smothered with paint as the rest of
the window, this may translate to only around 12mm! I guess this
means the slot in which it sits is around 12mm wide too, and the
requirement for the might bead is a slot 8.5mm wide.

The big advantage that stands out with the ifpsl stuff is that they
supply a carrier for their parting bead, which can be screwed into the
slot left by the old parting bead. This may be much easier than using
mastic or similar if the slot is too wide (as it seems to be with our
windows).

Do you have any experience with ifpsl? Could they get the stuff to us
in time (if you get to see my message in time, also!)? - Mighton at
least will promise next day delivery...

Although I've got a hundred more questions, I'll keep it to that for
the moment!
Your next question is "How do I draughtproof sash windows" and I claim
my 5 pounds :-)

Sorry, as indicated above, going for the draught-proofing solution
from Mighton, so I wasn't going to ask that question!

Wot no fiver ;-)

No, sorry mate. Besides, any spare fivers are all already earmarked -
it's an expensive business, this DIY lark!!

Thanks for the advice! Any more will be gratefully accepted...

Good luck.

Thanks - I'll post results when it's done.

Cheers - Adam...