Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default laminating a chair back rail/ bandsawing a chair back rail

Toller wrote:
I have tried cutting curved back rails with my band saw. I can get
the curve about right, but there are a lot of marks in it that need
to be sanded out, and I can't maintain the curve when I sand the
marks out. Are there any tricks here? (I mean other than sawing
more smoothly so there is nothing to sand out...) I suppose the
outside is easy enough with a ROS, but the inside needs a drum and
that is rather more difficult.

I also tried laminating by clamping to an existing chair rail. It
is a bit of work, but comes out nicely. The chair rail I used was
a bit too shallow, so I took a large block of wood and cut the
curve I want into it. At this point I have two choices. Clamp the
laminations to the female form with clamps, or clamp the
laminations between the male and female forms. I suppose a third
option would be to make the male and female forms a half inch
thick, and then put the laminations between them. That might
combine the best of 1 & 2. Whatcha think?

1. Sanding drum. Fixed on drill press or other

2. Gauge block...same idea as a resaw block on a bandsaw.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...