Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Mike is offline

Default laminating a chair back rail/ bandsawing a chair back rail

Toller wrote:
I have tried cutting curved back rails with my band saw. I can get the
curve about right, but there are a lot of marks in it that need to be sanded
out, and I can't maintain the curve when I sand the marks out. Are there
any tricks here? (I mean other than sawing more smoothly so there is
nothing to sand out...) I suppose the outside is easy enough with a ROS,
but the inside needs a drum and that is rather more difficult.

I've been using a set of "Micro-plane" drums. If you haven't seen them,
they are similar to a sanding drum that you'd use with your drill
press, but instead of using sandpaper, they have a metal surface with
small perforations or cutting surfaces.

I really like them because they leave a pretty smooth surface (a quick
hand sanding with 220 grit is all that's needed afterwards) and they
don't clog up like sanding drums can.

If you have a template of the shape you are going for, they have an
attachement that works just like a guide bearing on a router bit.

The set of two (1" and 2") costs something like $20 at rockler, and the
template guide is $10 or so.

Mike