Jimbo

Default Snowblower and Shear Torque: Pointer to info??

If the pins are not fitting properly in the holes it won't take long for the
constant jerking of the auger to snap them. Is everything else on the
blower running nice and smooth? If not that could be part of your problem.

Years ago I had a 10HP Sears blower that ran good for a few years then it
started breaking the 3/4 inch hex drive shaft right where the chain
sprocket was welded on. After replacing 2 shaft and sprocket assemblies I
finally sold it and purchased a better quality Ariens snowblower.

Gravel driveways are much harder on blowers than paved driveways so I keep
mine set very high.

Jimbo

clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:11:16 -0500, Terry King
wrote:

Thanks for this:
Shear is directly proportional to the area. a 5/16" bolt would be
1.55 times more shear strength. Drilling it out to a clean hole
would also eliminate some unknown amount of bending that is going
on.

The grade 5 and grade 8 bolts would have more shear strength than
the usual soft steel but they would be much harder than the shaft
and tube so you would mangle them before the bolt sheared, NOT
what you want.

OK, Won't do that!

Generally a Grade 2 bolt is what you want for a shear pin, with a snug
fit. Which reminds me, I better pick up a couple sets for the old Noma
as I used the last set when I serviced it this fall.
And, this comment:
If the shear holes are getting battered, then perhaps it is the
movement that is contributing to the shear. Maybe new holes drilled
ninety degrees out of line of the old holes and some distance away?

OK, here's what I think I'll do (Comments and GotYas appreciated):

1. Drill existing holes out to 5/16". Temporarily install 5/16 Capscews
(smooth shank). This should stabilize the current rotational 'slop'.

2. Drill new 1/4" holes in the stabilized tube and bar, an inch or so
away and 90 degrees to the original holes. Install 1/4" mild steel
capscrews.

3. Remove 5/16 capscrews, run for a while.

4. If problem continues a lot, use the 5/16" (1.5 times the shear torque)
mild steel capscrews.

I have 800 feet of dirt road to blow, and although I walk the path in the
Fall and throw a lot of stuff off, I always seem to miss the odd piece of
fallen branch, rock etc. So I understand that I'm in a difficult
environment.

Meanwhile, my Grandkids are coming this weekend, and we've got a dynamite
sliding hill with no traffic except the occasional snowmobile...

Thanks for the help in understanding this!