Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg Greg is offline

Default Heat Recovery Ventilator

m Ransley wrote:
Do you really need one, only a blower door test will determine if your
house is tight.

Thanks everyone for the information. I hadn't considered running the
HRV on a timer but it sounds like a reasonable approach to scaling down
the oversized equipment.

As for whether or not I actually need an HRV, I'm far from an HVAC
expert so I cannot tell for sure. The house however, located on Cape
Cod, is (by far) in the most humid environment I've ever lived. Its
rare, even in the winter with the wood stove running, that the indoor
humidity level will drop below 60%RH (in the summer if floats around
70-80%). The house is relatively tight, but could be better (I haven't
yet had a blower door test). In the past I've run a bathroom
ventilation fan for an hour or so each day to circulate the air.

Is there a difference between so called HRV and ERVs? Does one not
deal with humidity?

Greg