Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa Teamcasa is offline

Default wannigan (canoe box) thoughts

"Par" wrote in message
Teamcasa :
I would make it from 12mm cypress, dovetailed corners,

I could not get cypress here for anything but silly money.

polyurethane/resorcinol/epoxy glue, with the bottom reinforced with
brass
box corners.

No brass; I now I trade durability, but the canoe would take wear from
sharpish brass corners.

dovetailing will provide strength even if the glue fails.

True, dovetailing is probably the way to go. I was forgetting that,
since most of the versions I've seen on the net is either quick jobs
from plywood or "canoe" chests make like a section of a wood/canvas
canoe (you need a plug for that; overkill for a one shot project).

Make it out of redwood, lightweight, capable of handling the moisture and
dryness cycles, soft enough to not harm the canoe, durable enough to last.
Again, dovetails and if you want to avoid chemical glues, use hide glue.

Dave