Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Forstner bits.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.
But what about carbide?
Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
Lee Valley has a nice set.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

The big benefit of carbide is its temperature resistance and long wear. Big
downsides are that it's relatively difficult to sharpen, doesn't take as
fine an edge as steel, and is relatively brittle.

Unless I knew in advance that I was going to be doing high volume or working
wth some of the hard and abrasive exotics I'd go with HSS.

Personally I've got an old Chinese-made carbon steel set that has drilled
everything I've thrown at it and never given me a problem, but I almost
always use the drill press and adhere to the speeds marked inside the top of
the box lid--they work fine in the hand-held drill but generally if I need
Forstner precision I want the precise positioning I can get with the drill
press.