Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Products specifying alkaline batteries

In article ,
BE wrote:
I just bought several Energizer Rechargeable "9v" batteries (NiMH) and,
thanks to a previous post, I looked at the fine print and, yes, it is
actually 7.2volts! It says: "Size 9v" - so they can claim it is a 9v
battery due to the loose use of the term "9v" to indicate a "size" rather
than a power potential.

Why would the makers of these rechargeables make them not truly match the
voltage they are supposed to be?

Because upping the number of cells within the same package may not result
in any real benefits. Indeed, apart from increasing the cost, it may end
up with a lower capacity. It depends on how sensitive the device is to
voltages at the lower end of what an alkaline cell produces.

--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.