Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Vacuum chuck gasket

don't buy from a woodworker's catalog. try any of the following:

1. use the Soren Berger method - build up the lip with hot melt glue, shape
with your gouge into a smooth curve - this is what I use on cup type vac
chucks and I like it a lot.
2. go to salvation army (or whatever) and get an old wet suit - the closed
cell wet suit material is great for a flat plate type chuck, you get a good
seal and it's very durable.

I think I've got this stuff covered in my article on the subject - of course
I haven't read it since I wrote it a few years ago and hte memory grows
dim - you can DL the article from my web (www.wbnoble.com) under vac pumps,
or you can get it in the tips section of www.woodturners.org

bill n

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
In the last two weeks I saw a 12 x12 sheet of gasket material in some
woodworking catalog, but now I cannot find it anywhere. Anyone remember
seeing such stuff? This has been a senior day.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Absence makes the heart go wander.