Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Can grease fittings be clogged shut?

On 11 Oct 2006 07:15:51 -0700, "dpb" wrote:

mm wrote:
Can grease fittings be clogged shut?

How does one get them to open up again, especially if it seems they
can't be removed or replaced?

I have two zerk fittings on the '69 Honda I'm trying to get to run,
and they seem to be clogged, but they have no flat sides and I think
they don't unscrew. Can they be clogged and how would I unclog them?

The last time they were greased ( 1)the clutch cable mechanism and 2)
the swing arms) was between 1969 and 1972.)

As others said, the first question answer is "yes". The second is "it
varies", depending on what's wrong. More than likely in this case it's
simply the age and the grease has dried out and solidified plus quite
likely dirt and some corrosion has sealed them shut.

There are actually tools for the purpose, but they're rather pricey for
only a couple zerks. While it's possible a high-pressure gun might be
able to break them loose, that will also put whatever dirt and dried
grease that's in there into the joint which may continue to cause
problems on down the road so my recommendation is to take them out and
soak them in a solvent to see if they clean up or simply replace them.

I think somebody else noted that since they don't have wrench flats
they are almost certainly a press fit, not threaded. You should be
able to remove them w/ the vice-grips and some brute force method.
Having a gazillion of the suckers on all the farm equipment there're
similar cases pretty frequently and I've found a sharp chisel w/ a
fairly high taper under the flange can help in stubborn cases to start

No flange either. And on top of that, the one for the swing arms is
surrounded by a 3mm ring, and beyond that is a 5mm ring that is 1 or 2
mm higher than the center. Might get a little chisel in there but
they have protected it like a castle with a moat.

The other one is at an angle although I don't know if that makes a
difference.

The bottom line is that I'm going to wait until the bike is running,
and then I can take it and the fittings to other people, who will know
if it can be torn out and pressed in.

The swing arm only rotates 10 or 20 degrees for each significant bump,
less for other bumps, and I think it won't wear out in the first 100
miles.

For the clutch mechanism, I had the cover off and I greased it from
the other end, getting part of it, but the round inclined plane
probably needs grease. When there is no pressure on it however, it
slides very easily, and will probably wear down fairly evenly, so that
will wait 100 miles too.

I have the Klymer manual for this particular bike and it doesn't say,
but maybe I'll check the Honda site etc. and see if they say or if
they sell replacement grease fittings.

Thanks to everyone.

them moving and if they do break off the left-hand bolt remover tap
will make short work of any I've ever had a problem with (of course, w/
non-threaded, the direction isn't of real importance, just that most
remover sets are left-handed).

HTH...

HTH...