Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Products specifying alkaline batteries

Jim Yanik wrote:

Meat Plow wrote
On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:47:28 +0000, BE Has Frothed:

I have an electronic scale that uses a 9v battery and it says "use
alkaline batteries only". I prefer to use rechargeable NiMH
batteries. How can the product tell the difference (or can it) and
what would be the problem, if any, of using non-alkaline batteries in
such a product.

Thanks,
noozer

As they discharge, the voltage drops off more linear in an alkaline.
The rechargable stays more constant then drops off rapidly. Hence the
scale will operate longer on an alkaline.

Does anyone MAKE a "9V" NiMH battery?

I have one in front of me ( a cheapie ) that I recharged a month or two
back.

It currently measures 8.99V.

Graham