Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Products specifying alkaline batteries

Sam Goldwasser wrote in
:

(Michael Black) writes:

Meat Plow ) writes:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:47:28 +0000, BE Has Frothed:

I have an electronic scale that uses a 9v battery and it says "use
alkaline batteries only". I prefer to use rechargeable NiMH
batteries. How can the product tell the difference (or can it) and
what would be the problem, if any, of using non-alkaline batteries
in such a product.

Thanks,
noozer

As they discharge, the voltage drops off more linear in an
alkaline. The rechargable stays more constant then drops off
rapidly. Hence the scale will operate longer on an alkaline.

Maybe more important, rechargeables don't start with the same voltage
level as fresh alkalines, and if the unit counts on the voltage being
above a certain point, the useable "life" of the rechargeable will
not be so long (though of course, they can be recharged).

I used to have something, it might have been my Radio Shack Model
100 laptop, that I used rechargeables in, and they sure didn't last
as long as alkalines. On the other hand, the rechargeables could
be recharged so I got more long term life out of them than the
alkalines.

The bottom line is it almost certainly won't hurt the equipment so may
be worth trying. For something like an electronic scale,
rechargeables may indeed be fine.

For an electronic scale,I'd use a wallwart.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik