Rick Renner

Default Cotters up close and personal

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:04:04 -0500, Artemia Salina
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:15:16 -0600, Don Foreman wrote:

Ever look inside a cotter?

A cotter is a mechanism like the quill lock on a bridgeport. Guy
Lautard describes them and how they work in one of his "Machinist's
Bedside Reader" books and I borrow the term "cotter" from him.

snip

Thanks for mentioning these. I want to make a really nice boring
bar holder for my lathe's toolpost (which I'm making) and have been
considering different bar clamping methods. I'm using 1/2" shank
boring bars. I wonder if a cotter clamp would be rigid enough.

--
"There cannot possibly be a god in heaven watching all of this calmly."
-- Revi Shankar

I made just such a boring bar holder and I found that it really works
well. Have a look at the following photos:

http://home.worldnet.att.net/~renner...cs/cotter1.JPG
http://home.worldnet.att.net/~renner...cs/cotter2.JPG
http://home.worldnet.att.net/~renner...cs/cotter3.JPG

HTH