Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default Products specifying alkaline batteries

BE wrote in
:

I have an electronic scale that uses a 9v battery and it says "use
alkaline batteries only". I prefer to use rechargeable NiMH
batteries. How can the product tell the difference (or can it) and
what would be the problem, if any, of using non-alkaline batteries in
such a product.

Thanks,
noozer

Rechargable batteries tend to have a lower voltage than non-rechargable,
so the voltage difference might cause trouble. My guess is the "Use
alkaline batteries only" is there because the manufacturer knows the
device likes to eat batteries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Puckdropper