Posted to alt.home.repair
peter peter is offline

Default How do I know if a circuit breaker is bad in my house?

"DaGoodest" wrote in message
news:47085de082883673e08467ac68b2441c@homerepairli ve.com...
I have one room in my entire house that has lost power. The overhead
lights do not work and neither do any of the outlets. I have reset all of
the circuit breakers in the box by cycling the off then back on. Of
course, this did not work. Further, I removed the cover panel to ge to
the exposed wires and I used a test light on all of the wired to ensure
that I had power going to then. all of them gave me a light, so I know
that I have power going to each circuit. All of the other power sources
in the house are fine, except for this one particular room. I have rest
all GFI outlets in the house.

Any suggestions from here?

plug in a circuit tester -- those with 3 lights selling for $5 to $10
if no lights are on, then perhaps your "hot" has a break somewhere or the
breaker is off

if it says open neutral, then you can concentrate on checking the neutral
wires along the way, and this is not a breaker issue

determine the breaker by process of elimination:

turn off one breaker at a time and determine what has been turned off in the
house
when you found one that does nothing, that is probably the one controlling
your room without power