Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Damaged Joist

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
oups.com...
So I do know a little something about how to fix your problem. Yes, I'm
not an Engineer, but I have done a lot of construction, and most of
all, I have common sense. Common sense will tell you that you don't
need to hire an engineer to fix your one problem with one joist.

Well, common sense SHOULD tell you that anyone who is inclined to cut
their joists, particularly a critical one right over a stairway, to move
FURNITURE of all things, isn't likely to do a proper fix on their own, no
matter how much advice they're given on how to do it right. Having the
advice come from a non-professional, from a distance, who hasn't even seen
the issue themselves, only compounds the problem.

It might cost a few hundred dollars to bring in a pro to do a proper fix.
Isn't that money well spent in knowing the problem is solved?

-Tim

Don't you think it's better to encourage cracks in the surrounding walls,
and then come up with bizarre explanations when you need to sell the place?
"It was a freak earthquake!"