Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa Teamcasa is offline

Default The right way to prepare lumber

"rjdankert" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am a new (wannabe) woodworker. I have recently aquired a jointer
and planer. The few boards I have prepared so far were done in 4 steps
(information I got from searching the "wreck"):

1.) face joint
2.) edge joint
3.) plane
4.) rip

With my limited experience, I was very interested in Glen Huey's recent
article in PW. This was a very good article and I feel I learned from
it. I am hoping that I can get one thing clarified for me. His
sequence is:

1.) edge joint
2.) rip
3.) face joint
4.) plane
5.) edge joint (again)
6.) rip (again)

snip

Depending on several variables, the 1-4 sequence may work fine.
First variable, Jointer size. If you have a 10" board and a 6" jointer then
you may have to face joint the board with your 12" planer and a sled or rip
it to 2-5" boards on the bandsaw....

Oh heck, the list of variables goes on and on. There is no one perfect step
for every condition. I generally use the 1-4 method but switch it up from
time to time.

Bottom line is be safe, conserve as much wood as possible, avoid repeating
steps and above all, have fun and make something nice!

Dave