Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S C&S is offline

Default The right way to prepare lumber

Ditto. The 4-step is just fine. keep doing that.

Of course, all of this works most efficiently if you trim the rough
board close to the dimensions that you'll need before doing any of the
above. That way you don't need to remove as much wood.

Agreed.

I think that is the point of the 6-step method... to get the board closer to
size, which I agree is generally a good thing. Any time you can manipulate a
smaller workpiece it is easier to get accurate results. Pushing an 8',
45lb. board over anything but a really big jointer requires specific
attention to technique and a bit grunting.

However, the safest way to rough cut potentially twisted stock is with a
bandsaw.

There is an additional benefit to the band saw as well. If the grain swoops
through the board (or is diagonal to the original edge) and you finished
pieces are relatively small, you mark out your rough cuts parallel to the
grain rather than parallel to the edge of the original board. Rough cut with
the bandsaw then proceed with the 4-step method.

If you don't have a band saw, a jig saw will work for this as well.

Cheers,

Steve