Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default bought co detector, now where to put it?

On 9 Oct 2006 12:30:22 -0700, "Mark" wrote:

"ap" wrote...
Hello,
After shopping around much, purchased a nighthawk digital for $33 from
wal-mart.
These are expensive and I'm wondering if the best placement would
be high in the hallway near the bedrooms. There are 3 bedrooms that are
occupied.

by the way...the inside of a heat exchanger is under positive pressure
from the blower...

if it should crack, air would blow out of it, it would not pull CO in

but bad stuff can happen and a CO detector is a very good idea...

My brother wanted me to buy one, and actually mentioned it twice,
which for him is a lot.

So I did. The instructions with this first A;lert, I think it was,
said it didn't matter too much how high the detector was, but that was
10 years ago. Maybe they've changed their minds.

I put in the outlet about 12 inches above the floor and 8 feet to the
left of my bed, which had an outlet not being used. 2 or 3 months
after I put it in, it went off at 3 in the morning, woke me up, and I
am alive to type today, although some of you may have notice that my
mental function is not as good as it should be.

I opened the window, ran down stairs to turn off the furnace. Then I
went up stairs where I got quickly colder. After 60 or 90 minutes I
closed the window, but I didn't turn the heat on. When the furnace
was checked the 8 or 12 inch flue only had about 2 inches diameter for
exhaust. The rest was soot.

At the time, some insturctions didn't mention oil furnaces as a
problem, iiac.

I called them with a couple questions and one thing they said not to
do was to test the detector by finding some CO and stuffing the
detector into it. I got the impression too high a concentration would
ruin that model.

Mark