Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can grease fittings be clogged shut?

In article ,
mm wrote:
Can grease fittings be clogged shut?

How does one get them to open up again, especially if it seems they
can't be removed or replaced?

I have two zerk fittings on the '69 Honda I'm trying to get to run,
and they seem to be clogged, but they have no flat sides and I think
they don't unscrew. Can they be clogged and how would I unclog them?

The last time they were greased ( 1)the clutch cable mechanism and 2)
the swing arms) was between 1969 and 1972.)

Hey is it an AN600?

Anyway, yes the fittings can be clogged, or the joint they are
greasing itself can be the problem. There are grease fittings that are
meant to be driven or pressed in, but I don't know about your Honda.
In 1969 I was more into Dodge Darts, Ford Falcons, an Chevy IIs. Best
to check a service manual or with an old Honda mechanic.

If they are the press-in type, you can try grabbing them with a vise
grips, then prying up on the vise grips. If they brake off you will
have to drill out what's left. You can either replace them with the
same type, or possibly tap for a threaded grease fitting.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -