Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default The right way to prepare lumber

rjdankert wrote:

With my limited experience, I was very interested in Glen Huey's recent
article in PW. This was a very good article and I feel I learned from
it. I am hoping that I can get one thing clarified for me. His
sequence is:

1.) edge joint
2.) rip
3.) face joint
4.) plane
5.) edge joint (again)
6.) rip (again)

I understand that if one does this sequence, why it is necessary to
repeat edge jointing and ripping (steps 5 and 6) for the stock to be
square.

In the sequence above, the first edge joint was done before the face
jointing, so it isn't necessarily pependicular to the face. Ditto for
the ripped edge.

One major problem with the suggested technique is that you can't safely
rip twisted boards on a tablesaw. With a bandsaw it would work.

It really doesn't matter what order you use, as long as you get there in
the end. I think the following pattern makes the most sense:

face joint
plane
edge joint (because you planed first, you can now put either face
against the fence)
rip

Of course, all of this works most efficiently if you trim the rough
board close to the dimensions that you'll need before doing any of the
above. That way you don't need to remove as much wood.

You might want to read "Flat, Straight and Squa Simple milling
sequence yields true stock", in FWW #102.

Chris