Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking
[email protected] fredfighter@spamcop.net is offline

Default Ducal pine table, acid burn

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Pete C wrote:
On 9 Oct 2006 04:29:16 -0700,
wrote:

I'm in the doghouse so any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I have a newish Ducal pine dinner table which has an acid burn from
leaking alkaline radio batteries.
It's marked a strip of about 4 inches long by about half an inch wide
but as you can imagine as far as the missus is concerned it may as well
be 10 foot wide!!

It's taken the top layer of wood off although I'm sure this isn't a
veneer.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
It stopped affecting the wood shortly after I discovered it so it's not
getting any worse.

I encourageyou to neutralize it with white vinegar anyhow. Otherwise
it may still be just active enough to ruin the repair later on.

Appologies for calling it 'acid' but that seemed the easiest
description as some people don't realise how 'acidic like' (there I go
again) alkaline can be.
The patch is towards the bottom edge so I don't think I'll get away
with any inlays as features.

Well, you could add identical or similar inlays to create a symetrical
pattern, or fill it and then veneer the whole tabletop.

--

FF