Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default bought co detector, now where to put it?

HeatMan wrote:
Best place to put it would be back on the shelf at the store.

"ap" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
After shopping around much, purchased a nighthawk digital for $33 from
wal-mart.
These are expensive and I'm wondering if the best placement would
be high in the hallway near the bedrooms. There are 3 bedrooms that are
occupied.

Is this a good idea?

Should it be directly under a vent?

Thanks much!

For what it's worth, that Nighthawk won't alarm or even go off until CO has
reached danger levels. As I recall, they won't alarm until CO reaches 50PPM
for an eight hour period. That's not good enough for me, but it's good
enough to satisfy UL2034.

The card sitting in front of me tell me that (supposedly) 9PPM is acceptable
in a living space. 50PPM is the max concentration over an 8 hour period.
400PPM will give you frontal headaches in 1 to 2 hours and life threatening
after 3 hours. 800PPM will cause nausea and convulsions, death within 2
hours, etc, etc.

A lot of people don't like the low level alarms, but that's what I recommend
to customers. Your money is better spent on having your heating system
checked on an annual basis.

You can read more about this at http://www.coexperts.com/

Here's an interesting post on a BB I read.
http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cf..._ID=40217&mc=4

Flame away.

Your statement of effect is essentially the same
as in my Nighthawk book. The book also says that
the minimum for an alarm is 70ppm within 60 to 240
minutes. The display won't show anything below
29ppm unless you press the peak level button and
then it will show 11 to 29ppm. In English that
means it can't detect anything under 11 ppm.

That's good enough for me. Hell a model that
wouldn't detect 500ppm would be ok if just seeing
satisfied my wife. Diligent maintenance of gas
appliance is far more important that having a CO
detector. Mine hasn't gone off (except for a low
battery alarm) in 4 years and I don't expect that
it will ever go off before the detector fails.
I'll just keep watching my furnace and water
heater for any changes in operation--noise,
visual, etc.