Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson Don Phillipson is offline

Default Damaged Joist Pt 3

"hotwheels514" wrote in message
news:e5d66bb41d386dd8f6b954bb71f1d815@homerepairli ve.com...

Thanks for the replies. I got someone out here today to do an estimate,

and
he wouldnt give me an estimate cause he said my husband could fix it
himself. He suggested putting a 2*8 (the same size as the joist) the whole
3-4 ft span of the joist between the staircase walls, to use wood glue and
bolt it in. He said it only needed to be done on one side. I forgot to
mention the crack, I don't know if he saw it. The crack is not all the way
through the joist. He said the joist 'isnt as bad as I think it is'

because
the damaged part is between 2 walls supporting it, and the walls are only

few feet apart. He said he would be worried if the walls were farther
apart. He also said the bathroom notch is nothing. I would like to have
one more builder come out to look at it anyway. What do you guys think?

This is called "sistering" and is the standard way
of reinforcing a damaged joist. If your husband can
cut wood to fit (say 3/4 plywood on each side) and
drill holes large enough for secure bolts (say 3/8 inch)
he can sister the joist himself.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs