Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace header pipes? ? ?

"Ray" wrote in message
news:bFRWg.1931$lj2.1871@trndny01...
Thanks Mike -- Our system is steam.

Why do you suppose a reputable company of long standing wouldn't use the
standard?

Or perhaps the standard may have changed?

I guess if they installed a system which is truly incorrect and fails
fairly quickly they might be open to a lawsuit.

-- Ray

Many years ago, I used to work for a company that built heating coils for
both steam and hot water heating, mostly industrial and commercial
applications. We made them from copper. Only if the pressure was going to
exceed 15 psi, we'd use cupro-nickel or brass. You are probably operating
at less than 5 psi, maybe even less than that.

One reason he may have done it that way is the equipment needed to cut and
thread 6" steel pipe. Most plumbers do not have it. Copper is much easier
to work with in a residential setting. Large pipes have to be welded in
place, a very expensive process. Many years ago, conditions were different,
steel was cheaper steel pipe was common even for water supply. Live has
changed.

As for the pipes lasting two years, I recently had a couple of coils
repaired in a building that I manage. They were 30 years old and with a
couple of joints re-soldered, back in operating condition. Tell the old
fart to educate himself a bit more and mind his own business.

I don't think you have a problem.