Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Mr.E@totally.invalid is offline

Default Galvanized pipe, not sure what to do?

On 10 Oct 2006 11:45:51 -0700, wrote:

Thanks for the feed back. My concer is wheather or not the galvniazed
pipe is welded into the Cast iron? I am certain this is a difficult
question to answer unless you could see the pipe. To pose the
questions better, was it standard to weld the galvanized in to the iron
pipe of should I just be able to unscrew it?

Probably not welded. Typical would be screwed into a hub that is
Lead/oakum jointed to the cast iron hub. After many years, you may be
better off to peel out the leaded joint and replace with
plastic/rubber gasket joint. Failing this, galvanized pipe can be
sawed and re-connected to plastic with a nohub or Fernco coupling.
It is possible that the galvanized is lead wiped into a ferrule leaded
into the cast iron hub.
Looking is the only sure way to tell.
--
Mr.E