Posted to alt.home.repair
bremen68 bremen68 is offline

Default Need opinions/ideas --- Bathroom remodeling

Thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas/suggestions/opinions about a
remodeling project that is currently in the "She hasn't quite decided
phase"... ;-)

Our house is a brick three story that was re-built in 1887 (I'm
guessing due to fire). It used to have a wrap around porch, but at
some point someone enclosed the portion on the side to use as a
bathroom/laundry room. (that's room that's under consideration)

One of the former owners of our home did wallpaper work in this
downstairs bathroom and were kind enough to make it a challenge for us.
(No one likes an easy project afterall) They didn't do diddly to prep
the drywall and just applied wallpaper... I've read a few of the
archived posts on this topic... I'm thinking of going with the 2 heavy
coats of oil based primer over the paper to seal it, then using
textured paint. Anyone done this? What was your results?

The idea we're floating right now is to seal the wall paper, then
texture paint it, I'm going to put tile floor in to replace the vinyl
that is there now. The request from the boss is that she'd like it to
have more of a "porch" like look. I got some old picket fence that was
originally at her parents home from her folks. My plan is to use the
fence sections as a wainscoating along the outside wall of the room.
Then have a friend (whose's a lot more artistically inclined than me)
to paint vines, flowers, and such on and around the railing and up the
walls.

We have hot water baseboard heat so having the fence stick out from the
walls isn't really going to be any loss of space since the heater
sections run almost the length of the outside wall too. The fencing
isn't the wide style rails, the "fence" sections are around 2" wide.

Thought I'd bounce the idea around here and see if anyone has
suggestions or ideas...

Thanks!!!