Posted to sci.electronics.repair
SweetYankeeTears SweetYankeeTears is offline

Default television looking "washed out" in spots

Hey,

Been fiddling with this for a bit and guess I need to post it here.

I have a PCI ATI All-In-Wonder TV-out card and the special cable that
goes with it. That's connected to a new SANYO 24" TV from my PC
running Win '98 - using all this for MAME.

Now, after being on for about 3-5 minutes, you can see two distinct
areas on the screen that look to be getting a "washed out" look -
almost like the screen needs degaussing. It's not a degaussing issue,
tho. Then, as time goes by, they go away. Then, of course, they fade
back in. Kinda distracting and unacceptable for a new TV. The best
way to describe where on the screen these appear - get ready for it -
if a woman stood in front of the screen, centered, and pressed her
ample chest up against the CRT and left two impressions there - that's
where the areas of discoloration come and go.

I've tested the TV with my XBox (composite)- no such issue. Tried it
with my DVD player (s-video)- no such issue. So, I'm ruling out the TV
itself being fux0red.

So, it just seems to be the computer/vid card. It does it with either
S-Video or composite output.

Wondering if it's a simple matter of adjusting refresh or resolution
(trying all of that now) or I should buy another video card. I
wouldn't think it's a driver issue but you never know.

Anyone seen this? I get nothing on searches for this specific problem.

TIA.

BTW, the email is no longer valid. Replies here appreicated!