Ted Edwards

Default Indexer on Lathe was Making holes in aluminum sheetmetal

Brian Lawson wrote:

Very neat idea. When I first looked at 3.jpg, I thought that the
riser piece looked like some type of non-metallic material, and I was
a bit surprised that a "slippery" material would be used. But then I
looked at the aluminum chips in the photo, saw they were the identical
color as the riser, and assumed that the riser must also be aluminum.
Not so when I read the .txt lines! Has this been a problem at all?

No. I had a piece of Aluminum that I could have used but it would have
taken much more work. The piece of UHMW was jaust right except for
milling the thickness down a bit. I, too, was concerned about its
slipperyness but it hasn't been a problem.

I have pretty much the same generic indexer too, and I had a few times
when I either couldn't tighten the 5C enough to grip the work, or more
often could not get it to release. The knurled screw towards the back
of the housing seemed designed to just apply a tension or braking
action, rather than grip and lock the shaft firmly.

I've never used mine except for an integer number of degrees. Then the
locking pin prevents rotation. I set the knurled screw to prevent the
collet and holder from moving in or out. It seems quite adequate for
that.

Ted