Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] roger61611@yahoo.com is offline

Default Rough cost to insulate walls post-construction

I live in the Midwest US and this may be the first of a few questions
this week as I remodel the bathroom.

While ripping out the crooked, old, decrepit, pink ceramic wall tile in
my bathroom I found the source for my heating-bill woes. There's
hardly any insulation in the exterior walls (ceilings are more or less
ok). This is a job I would hire out. I'd like to know for the purpose
of planning my finances, whether this is a $1500 job or a $5000 job,
just a ballpark guess, but there's a twist that worries me.

The house is a 50 year old ranch with full brick exterior walls, and
the exposed badly-insluated perimiter is about 130 feet. I'm assuming
a contractor would drill holes and blow something in to fill the
cavity. This is where the details get a bit excruciating and I hope
this makes sense.

The walls, starting outside and working in, are

- a layer of traditional red brick
- a layer of some fiber-board stuff about half an inch thick
- about an inch of air
- a layer of insulation literally one inch thick [fiberglass with an
interior backing layer that is silver]
- about 1.5" of air
- sheetrock.

The twist to this is that the one-inch-thick insulation was made to be
stapled up in such a way as to leave a pocket of air on either side of
it - basically if you're looking down from above it's a thin insulating
layer in the middle of the air pocket between the studs.

Each 'X' in the picture shown, taken from above, is a stud, the hyphens
mark the insulation layer:

Can blown-in insulation be done so as to fill up both air gaps - the
one closes to the bricks as well as the one behind the thin layer of
fiberflass ?

Thank you !