Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default How To Paint Popcorn Ceiling?

krw wrote in
t:

In article , postmaster@
127.0.0.1 says...
"Sixeye" wrote in news:_8lWg.32242$tO5.28944@fed1read10:

"grandpa" wrote in message
news:XzkWg.1426$i84.1063@trnddc01...
Sixeye wrote:
"grandpa" wrote in message
newsjiWg.3497$W35.2915@trnddc06...

Tony Deb wrote:

What is the best way to paint an existing popcorn ceiling? The
room is 20x14. I can move everything out and I am 99% sure that
it is NOT made with asbestos.
It is yellowing and crappy looking but I really dont want to
remove it. Im kind of hoping that you guys have some kind of new
method for this nightmare other than priming then rolling. My
fingers are crossed!!! Thank you.

Tony C.

If you don't remove it and paint over it by whatever method, you
will make it at least four times harder to remove later. If you
can indeed get everything out, then removing the existing popcorn
will only take about an hour or two. A day to prepare the ceiling
for whatever new texture you want and you're done with a much
better ceiling than what you would have had with a crappy painted
over popcorn ceiling.

Besides, the next guy may decide that you were an idiot who
couldn't make a good shade tree mechanic and hunt you down and
remove you from the gene pool. I know I feel that way about
idiots who put wallpaper on unprimed wallboard.

--
Grandpa

I don't agree. I painted a couple of my popcorn ceilings a few
years ago. A pro came a couple years later to remove one in the
dining room and winced when he discovered it was painted. But it
came down just as easily as if it weren't painted. Later, I
removed the other one myself and it too came down easily.

That said, I too am glad to have got rid of my popcorn ceilings.
That is, except for the living room. There, I have a cathedral
ceiling.

Does anyone have any idea how to get up there to remove the
popcorn and retexture? That's the last room I have to do.
Then you were very lucky or didn't use a very good paint. My
experience is vastly different than yours and I can understand why
he winced.

The Borg has a tool for scraping popcorn ceilings that attaches to
a long pole. It has this contraption underneath which can hold a
bag and allegedly "catch" the scrapings. My advice is skip the
bag, as it gets real heavy and unwieldy; but the scraper part
works like a charm.

After that its scaffolding. Good luck.

--
Grandpa

Maybe I got lucky. "The Borg"? What is that? Can't find it on
Google. I can't imagine a long pole type contraption working well
on a cathedral ceiling. We're talking 18-20 feet up. Even if it
works well for getting popcorn down, it's not going to work well
for putting texture up.

Not too hip on using scaffolding. I may have to rent a hydraulic
lift of some type I guess.

"The Borg"? What is that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_(Star_Trek)

The Borg from the Star Trek (Generations?) series. Somewhere along
the lines in this group Home Depot & Lowe's have become known as The
Borg.

BORG == Big Orange Retail Giant, originally HomeDespot.

One thread even got goofy about "We are Expeditor. You will be
expedited. Resistance is futile.".

I had just guessed it referred to HD & Lowe's. Acronym certainly fits!