Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default How To Paint Popcorn Ceiling?

In article , postmaster@
127.0.0.1 says...
"Sixeye" wrote in news:_8lWg.32242$tO5.28944@fed1read10:

"grandpa" wrote in message
news:XzkWg.1426$i84.1063@trnddc01...
Sixeye wrote:
"grandpa" wrote in message
newsjiWg.3497$W35.2915@trnddc06...

Tony Deb wrote:

What is the best way to paint an existing popcorn ceiling? The room
is 20x14. I can move everything out and I am 99% sure that it is
NOT made with asbestos.
It is yellowing and crappy looking but I really dont want to remove
it. Im kind of hoping that you guys have some kind of new method
for this nightmare other than priming then rolling. My fingers are
crossed!!! Thank you.

Tony C.

If you don't remove it and paint over it by whatever method, you
will make it at least four times harder to remove later. If you can
indeed get everything out, then removing the existing popcorn will
only take about an hour or two. A day to prepare the ceiling for
whatever new texture you want and you're done with a much better
ceiling than what you would have had with a crappy painted over
popcorn ceiling.

Besides, the next guy may decide that you were an idiot who couldn't
make a good shade tree mechanic and hunt you down and remove you
from the gene pool. I know I feel that way about idiots who put
wallpaper on unprimed wallboard.

--
Grandpa

I don't agree. I painted a couple of my popcorn ceilings a few years
ago. A pro came a couple years later to remove one in the dining
room and winced when he discovered it was painted. But it came down
just as easily as if it weren't painted. Later, I removed the other
one myself and it too came down easily.

That said, I too am glad to have got rid of my popcorn ceilings.
That is, except for the living room. There, I have a cathedral
ceiling.

Does anyone have any idea how to get up there to remove the popcorn
and retexture? That's the last room I have to do.
Then you were very lucky or didn't use a very good paint. My
experience is vastly different than yours and I can understand why he
winced.

The Borg has a tool for scraping popcorn ceilings that attaches to a
long pole. It has this contraption underneath which can hold a bag
and allegedly "catch" the scrapings. My advice is skip the bag, as it
gets real heavy and unwieldy; but the scraper part works like a
charm.

After that its scaffolding. Good luck.

--
Grandpa

Maybe I got lucky. "The Borg"? What is that? Can't find it on
Google. I can't imagine a long pole type contraption working well on
a cathedral ceiling. We're talking 18-20 feet up. Even if it works
well for getting popcorn down, it's not going to work well for putting
texture up.

Not too hip on using scaffolding. I may have to rent a hydraulic lift
of some type I guess.

"The Borg"? What is that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_(Star_Trek)

The Borg from the Star Trek (Generations?) series. Somewhere along the
lines in this group Home Depot & Lowe's have become known as The Borg.

BORG == Big Orange Retail Giant, originally HomeDespot.

One thread even got goofy about "We are Expeditor. You will be expedited.
Resistance is futile.".

--
Keith