Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default insulating only part of attic

since household junk expands into every available cavity of the home
and forces its way into a second garage, nip it in the bud right now
with a garage sale.
then take the money and remodel the fully insulated new attic space.

Heathcliff wrote:
Thinking about adding insulation to the attic, which is floored over.
The easiest thing would be to put insulation on top of the flooring.
However, I need part of the space up there for storage. If, say, I put
insulation all around except for an area in the middle, would that
eliminate most of the gains of insulation? In other words, if I leave
20% of the space uninsulated, do I cut heat loss by 80% (of what I
would by insulating all over)? -- H