The Masked Marvel

Default Snowblower and Shear Torque: Pointer to info??

Buy snowblower shear bolts appropriate for your make/model machine. Any goot
H/W store or small engine service place should have them, or try:
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/snow_index.html

"Terry King" wrote in message
.. .
I have a snowblower with the typical shear pins on each side of the front
augers. I usually use mild steel capscrews, but I've been having them
shear more often lately, in what seem to be only moderate loads. I need
to modify the size or material to make this more reliable. It's not fun
when one side shears 500 feet up my hill in Vermont at -15. Like
Yesterday. Grrr. And also Brrrr...

The unit has a .75 inch shaft running in a 1.0 inch OD tube with little
clearance. The shear pin holes are/were .25 inch, but they're a little
worn now.

I would like to find information on shear torque for this kind of
configuration: double contact shear at a certain radius, for different
materials. I want more torque than I have now, but not TOO much where I
may damage the drive worm-gearbox. I wish I knew:

- The present shear torque with mild steel 1/4"
- The shear torque with a grade 5 or grade 9 or other 1/4" bolt
- The shear torque with a 5/16" mild steel bolt etc.

I bet this is all in a table somewhere but the search I did didn't find
it...

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated!

--
Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont

The one who Dies With The Most Parts LOSES!! What do you need?