Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett Bruce Barnett is offline

Default Forstner bits.

"Andy" writes:

Bruce Barnett wrote:
one thing to be aware of with the cheapo ones is that
they can't cut well unless you have a starter hole in the middle.

The good ones can cut without a center support.

In my experience with the HF set, they cut fine without a center hole
(using a drill press).

Heck, you can put an adjustable "wing" hole saw in a drillpress and
get it to cut. But a good Forstner bit will work in a handheld drill,
even when there is no center hole. (It does need to get a small bite first.)

The ones I'm talking about have a circular cutting edge on the rim,
like shown he

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/articles/bit4.jpg

I bought a cheapo set on sale, and it doesn't have the cutting
rim. Instead it has a spur on the edge, like the Stanley PowerBore
bits. I HAVE to use the cheapos in a drillpress when I can't use a
center guide. Otherwise they walk all over the place.

The cheap ones I have are easier to sharpen, like the PowerBore bits.
Sharpening the rim-type is tricky.