Posted to uk.d-i-y
Freddie Freddie is offline

Default Compression joints and spinach.

On 10 Oct 2006 04:48:00 -0700, "MikeH" wrote:

Freddie wrote:
Hi all,

OK...compression joints...

Hand tight and then 3/4 turn using a spanner.

When I do hand tight and then attempt a 3/4 turn...I give up.

Do I need to each more spinach?

Freddie

3/4 of a turn sounds a lot. It just needs to be 'nipped-up'. Given my
average spinach consumption, that translates to about 1/4 to 1/2 a
turn for me, but no more. I also usually wrap a turn or two of PTFE
tape over the top of the olive before sliding it down the pipe into the
fitting. I find it helps make a consistently reliable joint.

Mike

Cheers for the info Mike.

Do you put the PTFE tape on the olive or on the pipe before the olive?

So, from the pipe end, you would have PTFE, olive and then the nut or
pipe, olive wrapped in PTFE and then nut?

Cheers

Freddie