Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey Joey is offline

Default Damaged Joist

Father Haskell wrote:

hotwheels514 wrote:

I have a damaged joist, it supports the 2nd floor of my house. My husband
severely notched it to get a piece of furniture up the stairs. He tried to
repair it by bolting in another piece of wood, but now it also has a crack
in the same area, and Im afraid it will get worse. Also, he cut out a much
smaller piece of the same joist in the bathroom (near where the joist meets
the wall), on the bottom of the joist, so he could put a pipe in. Im
worried about all of this. I'd like to bring in someone to fix it. Who do
I call? Carpenter? General Contractor? Is this really expensive to repair?

Needs to be "sistered" with as long a board as possible.

Hotwheels,

Not sure if you know what "sistered" means here so I just wanted to make
sure. When a major joist cracks or sags it can be put back in the
original position and then a longer board/joist can be attached to it
giving it the original support strength. What's new today is that you
can use a metal piece (much thinner) then the original joist with the
same strength. The "sistered" board must be the same width or stronger
to give it the needed strength for support or else you'll get another
crack or failure.