Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default Sump battery backup

"Jack" writes:
Hello,
I have the opportunity to get an APC UPS at a discount. Can I use this as a
power source for a sump pump that draws 7 amps? I am not sure what size of
UPS would work for this application.
I would prefer not to install a backup sump if I can just plug the existing
one into a UPS.
Thank you for your time.

This is unfortunately an idea frought with all sorts of potential
problems.

Now, there probably is an APC ups with pure sine wave output that
might do this duty just fine, but something tells me that even with a
discount, the size you'll need for the inductive load of a standar
sump pump
a) it's gonna cost more than $250
and
b) it wont provide you a completely redudant pump in the pit
in case of main pump failure for reasons other than power
outage.

I'd spend $250 on a Basement Watchdog that has the right battery
matched with a compatible pump.

But do get an APC UPS for your computer. :-)

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/