Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones Ether Jones is offline

Default How do I know if my fence posts are set in cement?

mm wrote:
On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 14:36:30 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .

Thanks. Boy, is that obvious, NOW THAT YOU'VE TOLD ME!

So, if there is no cement, how hard is it to get a 4" diameter round
wood fence post out of the ground, and how do I do it?

CAn I connect a chain to my bumper jack, or a floor jack, wrap it
around the post, and jack? If I make some dents in the post, that
would be ok.

Look up "prussik" knot.

I just did. I'll try it.

It is a good way to have a rope hold onto something.
Or, just rock the post back and forth until it is loose, and lift it out.

This is pretty obvious too, nowthat you've told me. I guess I should
think more before posting, but somehow those things seem permanent!

I tore down an old shed last year that was built on 8 4x4's sunk 2
feet into the ground with no concrete. But the soil around here is
heavy clay, and the earth had a death grip on those posts: a four-ton
hydraulic floor jack and tow chain failed to do the job.

What finally worked for me was to dig a small trench around each post,
and let the garden hose run slowly for about an hour on each post.
Then rock the post back and forth, and pull the sucker out by hand.

Thanks.

Bob