Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Sump battery backup

"Jack" wrote in message
news:EmBWg.8902$Go3.3949@dukeread05...
Hello,
I have the opportunity to get an APC UPS at a discount. Can I use this as
a power source for a sump pump that draws 7 amps? I am not sure what size
of UPS would work for this application.
I would prefer not to install a backup sump if I can just plug the
existing one into a UPS.
Thank you for your time.

Not a chance in ...
A 7a sump pump will draw (feel free to actually measure it, as they can vary
widely) 20 to 25 amp when starting. Will your UPS supply 2500w? For how
long?

Also, UPSs are square waves because computer power supplies don't care. But
motors do. I wouldn't want to run my sump pump with square waves.

And finally, a back up will work if your sump pump breaks. A UPS is pretty
useless then.

A backup pump only takes a couple hours to install.