Posted to sci.electronics.repair
lsmartino lsmartino is offline

Default Attempt at hdd data recovery

Michael Kennedy ha escrito:

Anybody know where I can find a 60gb Hitachi Travelstar model
IC25N060ATMR04-0 hard drive so that I can replace the heads in one that was
dropped while running?

Honestly I don't even know that I can get the heads out without screwing
them up, but I figure it is worth a shot if I can find one of these drives
someone is going to junk due to bad electronics.

- Mike

The article cleverly avoids to explain something very important: You
remove the platter stack to replace the heads, ok, but when try to
reasembly it, how do you realign each platter with respect the others?
I think that if any platter is shifted even a 0.000001 deg. with
respect to the other(s), the data will be unreadable. You canīt mark
the platters, and even if you can, the mark will be too coarse to be
efective as an alignment guide. Even worse: how to handle each platter
to avoid any damage to itīs magnetic surface? If even handling the
magnetic disk of a disquette damages it, and in those disks the data
density is relatively low (only 80 tracks per side), how to avoid
damage to a glass disk with a density thousand of times greater than
the density of a diskette?

No, I donīt think the person who wrote the article has ever attempted
to do what he claims, or if he has done it, he did it in a very
different environment and using different tools than those described in
the article.