Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default bought co detector, now where to put it?

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
"Toller" writes:

"ap" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
After shopping around much, purchased a nighthawk digital for $33 from
wal-mart.
These are expensive and I'm wondering if the best placement would
be high in the hallway near the bedrooms. There are 3 bedrooms that are
occupied.

I put mine in the basement near the floor. Only my water heater or
furnace
could make CO, and I would rather find out about it when there was CO in
the
basement than when it hit the bedrooms.

No alarms in 5 years.

For what it's worth, the basement and "near the floor" and "in the
actual furnace room" are all among the "bad idea" places listed in the
Nighthawk manual.

Part of the reason is that CO is slightly lighter than air and tends
to rise. The other part is that if yu have a cracked heat exchanger
and conditions that are putting CO into your ductwork, a detector on
the floor of your furnace room will quietly assume all is well because
it'll never know.

You are correct about not being near the floor. Although it is about the
same density as air, it is likely to be warm so it will tend to go up. I
will move my detectors up immediately! Thanks.

But I still think the basement is the right place. A problem with the water
heater is much more likely than a cracked heat exchanger. I have two, maybe
I will split them up. (of course, if the OP doesn't have a gas water heater
you would be right about that also. Live and learn...)