Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default Unbreakable pipe (freeze proof)

On 9 Oct 2006 09:06:43 -0700, "dpb" wrote:

wrote:
I need to solve a water drainage problem. I need a source for pipe or
tubing that will not break when the standing water in it freezes.

It doesn't matter if it freezes. I just need it to not break. It will
be run100 feet horizontal just under the surface of the lawn.

Well, if it freezes, it isn't going to do much good draining if there
is a source that isn't frozen as could easily be the case in many
situations.

If it does freeze then some sort of heat tape would be required, but
if it was unbreakable it can't cause a bog to form.

What are you draining to have some context for a reasonable solution?
What amount of water does it have to carry?

It is 4 inch PVC right now but it can be made smaller to just
accommodate continuous drainage as opposed to part time rainstorm
volume.

But, if it is open and a straight run, it's unlikely freezing will
actually cause a heavy walled (Sch 40 or greater) pipe to break as
there would be an open end for expansion relief. Whether a solid pipe
is even needed is, of course, an open question (pun sorta' intended..
)

A 100 foot pipe is to long to allow all of the expansion to be
accommodated by the open end.